'I HAVEN'T LET THE STRESS GET TO ME, YET'

December is a lucky month for Vikram Prabhu! He has had releases which were quite successful at the box office like Kumki (2012), Ivan Veramathiri (2013) and Vellaikaara Durai (2014) in the same month. Pinning his hopes on Veera Sivaji, he talks to us about choosing a light-hearted flick. Excerpts follow...

Is Veera Sivaji different from what you did earlier? If yes, in what way?

I am choosy about my films, and once in a while, it’s alright to do not-so-intense ones. I play the role of a cab driver in this one. When director Ganesh Vinaayac approached me with this title, I had apprehensions because I thought people would mistake it for a historical movie. It’s an engaging youthful family drama-cum-masala outing with all elements mixed in proper proportions. 

The story is based on incidents that take place during travel from Puducherry to Kanyakumari. It’s a film that works because there are audiences who like to indulge in such storylines.

Imman has scored music for all your projects since Kumki. What kind of rapport do you both share?

Imman’s music is the heart and soul of this project. As always, he has done a wonderful job, and there’s a number sung by Bombay Jayashree, which is already a hit on social media. I like how he’s straightforward with people. It’s hard to get compliments from him. I guess, over a while I managed to get a few. (grins)

You have been quite busy with Mudi Sooda Mannan and Neruppu Da. Comment.

The projects that I took up are time-consuming, and I am aware of it. I am done with Mudi Sooda Mannan, which may go in for a title change. But it’s relevant to the story. It’s a character that has gone through many things in life. It has a bit of negative shades, but it will be defined. You’ll see the transition on screen. We shot extensively in and around Tiruchy, and the movie is based on real-life incidents. 

I am keen on not repeating roles. For Mudi Sooda... director SR Prabhakaran wanted me to grow a beard. My role has specific looks, so I took my own time to get into the skin of the character. He’s a wonderful storyteller, and I liked the script when I listened to it. 

On the other hand, 60% of Neruppu Da is over, and I am playing a fireman who’s an ardent fan of Rajinikanth, in the film. Now you know why we named the film so! It’s a fast-paced script. I can’t classify it under one genre.

Are you comfortable doing one project at a time?

If I could, I would! (smiles) Moreover, when I choose a film, I try my best to look different from my earlier ones. I put in a deliberate effort to achieve that. As of now, I have not signed anything new. I want to finish Neruppu Da before I zero in on anything. I like to try out films in different genres — that’s one of the ways to grow as an actor.

How are you enjoying your stint as a producer?

I am familiar with the nuances of production. I have involved myself in Sivaji Productions previously. Doing something on my own, and taking responsibility for everything is of course new to me. I agree, it’s extra work. But, it’s all about planning. I haven’t let the stress get to me, yet! (laughs).

(The piece was originally published for The New Indian Express)

Comments

Popular Posts