'I OFTEN RETURNED HOME WITH SCRATCHES AND BRUISES'

Catherine Tresa, who followed up a dream debut in Pa Ranjith’s Madras with roles in Kathakali and Kanithan, paints a portrait of confidence, on the eve of Kadamban’s release. Excerpts from a chat with the actress...

You’ve done four Tamil films in the last three years.

That’s because I am conscious that each film is in stark contrast to the previous one. It’s not about how many I am being a part of. I’m here because of the joy of acting. In Kadamban, for instance, I play a tribal woman. I consider it the toughest film of my career. There was a lot of hard work involved, as we shot in the heart of a forest. There were no proper roads, so, we had to trek to the shooting spot. Throughout the film, I had to walk barefoot. I often came home with scratches and bruises.

But surely, you were told of these challenges much in advance?

Yes, but I accepted it because I don’t like films where I have nothing to do. I’m greedy in a good way. I also liked how they portrayed my character, Rathi. I was able to relate to her. I found her to be quite cute when she flirts. (laughs)

What sort of research did you have to do to play this character?

I don’t like to watch other films and draw reference points. I wouldn’t want that to influence my way of thinking. I would rather keep things original.

Tell us about your look for the film.

The milieu is raw, and therefore, there was no place for heavy make-up. We did many look tests and zeroed in on one. Also, tribal women drape saris differently, and that’s when I learned that there’s no one right way to do it. I rather liked my tanned look.

Would you agree that you’re more focused on Telugu cinema?

I don’t think so. People there say I concentrate more on Tamil cinema! I guess this is the problem of trying to balance both. All I’m looking for, regardless of the language of the film, is that I get an interesting character in a strong script and a team that gives me the freedom to play it my way.

So, you be open to doing films in Kannada and Malayalam too?

While I did my first film (Shankar IPS) in Kannada, when I was in college, and my second in Malayalam (The Thriller), somehow, I feel more inclined towards Telugu and Tamil cinema. I agree that Malayalam cinema is quite strong in terms of content. But hey, the kinds of roles that are being written for women in Telugu and Tamil are good too.

What are the sort of roles you’d like to do?

I played the character of an MLA in the Telugu film, Sarrainodu. She’s such a riot. Even now, when somebody sees me in Andhra Pradesh or Telangana, they call me ‘MLA garu’. It feels good when people relate to the characters you do. Or how about Madras, in which I play a North Madras ponnu. Despite not wearing expensive clothes, she is appealing. It’s all about how you carry yourself. I believe I can look glamorous even in a faded cotton sari. But yes, I don’t have any one character I am desperate to play. I like variety.

What are some of your upcoming projects?

I am done shooting for Katha Nayagan (alongside Vishnu Vishal). It’s a light-hearted film and a total contrast to Kadamban. In Telugu, I have Nene Raju Nene Mantri opposite Rana Daggubati and Goutham Nanda with Gopi Chand.

(The piece was originally published for The New Indian Express)


Comments

Popular Posts