'I WANT TO BE A PART OF REALISTIC FILMS'

Long before Vidharth became an actor, he was a theatre artiste. “Theatre is my first love,” says Vidharth, who has a promising line-up of films including Kurangu Bommai, Oru Kidayin Karunai Manu and Billa Paandi. In Kurangu Bommai directed by Nithilan, he plays a taxi driver. “I had watched Nithilan’s short film, Punnagai Vaanginaal, Kanneer Ilavasam, and agreed to do this film because I loved it a lot. Kurangu Bommai is an emotional drama that showcases the father-son bond.”

He had the added bonus of working alongside Bharathirajaa, who plays his father in the film. “He’s such a natural actor. I learned so much from him.”

Vidharth, however, wasn’t nervous. “Being a huge fan of his work, I was eager to know him better. Even when I didn’t have scenes, I’d simply be on the sets to observe him perform. He did a five-minute-long scene with total ease,” he says. 

They were also able to discuss cinema when not shooting. “He dropped by my office once to praise me for my acting. I think he liked my expressions. While I never got the chance to act under his direction, being part of this non-linear film with him is a good enough alternative.”

Vidharth says that the most essential quality about acting is to believe in what you’re doing. “I got that confidence from the city-based theatre group, Koothu-p-Pattarai. My experience in theatre has helped me understand the nuances of various characters and how to portray them. I can slip into any role easily. I don’t act; I simply behave and react.” 

Even though he was getting many offers after Mynaa, Vidharth was happy to bide his time. “I only take up films that appeal to my sensibilities. I want to be a part of realistic films,” he adds.

The actor is also pained by the prevalent belief that theatre actors are only suitable for melodramatic parts. “That’s changing though. Actors like Vijay Sethupathi have risen from theatre. Many others are also showing that they can be great at subtle acting. It’s all about providing them with the right opportunities.”

He is also particularly excited about one of his films, Oru Kidayin Karunai Manu. “The story is about the ritual of offering goats to gods. The whole plot has been narrated from the animal’s point of view. It will be talked about in the same breath as Mynaa,” he says. “We bought a goat from a villager and named him Raasu. He is now like one of our family members. It was quite a challenge to shoot the film.”

(The piece was originally published for The New Indian Express)

Comments

Popular Posts